Thursday, July 11, 2013

Gastein tomorrow!

I find myself sitting on the patio at Elfriede's typing my blog.  It is actually chilly today.  We will leave for Gastein tomorrow morning. I am looking forward to the trip.  The train in Germany is a very civilized way to travel.  The trip itself is always a pleasure.  We will have no wi-fi in Gastein so I'm not sure how often I will be able to blog.  Last time there, we snuck into a hotel and pirated their wi-fi - they even served Doris free coffee.  A long way from yo ho ho and a bottle of rum.   A quick trip to Konigstein is planned for some shoe shopping - Doris is getting new shoes for her new suit for Moni's wedding.  I will go along to carry the bags and protect them from any gangsters.  As if there would be any there.  Doris and I went to Konigstein this morning to pickup brochen (rolls) for breakfast and I saw a baby in a carriage parked outside a shop and no mother in sight.  I watch for 5-10 minutes and no mother ever showed up.  I thought, not in American - social services would descend in a heart beat and snatch that baby up.  Hell would be raised and hearts would be broken but here...a village is raising a child.  Of course, it is a very wealthy, exclusive and extremely safe village...well got to go.

Mike

3 comments:

  1. Love the updates. Almost feels like I am there with you. Love you both. Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking the time to write, Mike.
    Erin and I just got back from an evening at the beach on Anna Maria. Frannie's son, Luke has a regular gig at the Tiki Hut there. I smiled reading your last post because while I was chatting with Frannie, Erin left the Tiki hut to sit on the rocks and watch the sunset - that was after Erin asked if she could go down to the beach and I said, "No. You need to be where I can see you!"
    It's certainly a different world!
    Tim and I are heading to Cape San Blas for the weekend. Looking forward to catching up with your blog when we get back.
    Love & hugs!
    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Recalling a comment you once made about how you're "not a writer". I'm currently scoffing at that because your posts are so incredibly interesting and lovely to read. Love you guys! ~Allyson

    ReplyDelete